From:
Ed Hoffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 09:45:21 -0500
Hi all, probably should have bit my tongue but....

Maybe it's just me, but I love animals, the ones I have I care for, the
ones I help out with I care for.  Please, don't get me wrong, this is not
a flame.  Perhaps a reminder that there are others reading these posts
who love all animals big and small, "perfect" or "challenged".

Ok, I truly understand why we should be more concerned with the "so
called" breeders who don't take into consideration any of the animals
past physical problems (i.e. deafness); the breeders are the problem not
the animals.  The point is that why do some of you refer to "God's"
creatures as "PRODUCTS"?  Do we do the same for our offspring when we now
there is a chance for what some might call a "defect" as a result (no
blond, short, bald, or 4 eyed jokes OK)?

I might be wrong, but I was told that a breeder had to have a USDA
license or something similar to sell commercially, so are the Pet Stores
so informed (referring mostly to the small ones of course)?  If it is the
"Back Yard" breeders that is causing the problem, then lets work on
solving the "source" of the problem the breeder themselves.  Nature does
cause "challenged" or defects in animals just as it does in "humans", so
let's not be too quick to point fingers unless there is a very very good
verifiable history of due to lack of better words "defective breeding".

Again, maybe it's just me, but my fuzzbutts and any animal that I have
had the privilege of being the guardian over are not a "product" they are
"part of my family".

Ed & the not to be blamed gang