From:
"John G. Byron" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 1994 18:11:58 -0500
I just "rescued" a pair of ferrets from a gentleman that I work with.   They
seem very normal except both of them have extensive hair loss.  Both of their
tails are completely bald, and it appears that they have lost most of their
undercoats as well.
I think that it is a bit early for them to be shedding their winter coats (and
it's a bit drastic if they are).

I have not noticed any physical signs of disease, except that their remaining
fur is VERY coarse, and they are a BIT on the thin side (ribs almost showing).
Otherwise, they have the normal ferret attitude.

It is also obvious that they have not had a nail clipping recently, perhaps they
were neglected? (I would hate to think that of a co-worker)

I will call their former vet (who gave them a rabies shot, but not a distemper -
odd) and get their records.  I will also call my vet and get them an appointment
TOMORROW.

I thought I saw a thread about hair loss here before, but I don't recall what it
said, so if anyone has any advice/opinion please let me know!

John