From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 21:54:48 -0600
WEIGHING IN ON URINE:

Urine weights in litter, although theoretically possible, are not
recommended.  First, it just introduces another variable into the
equation, increasing error.  Second, litter hates to stay in the box (a
self-preservation instinct I suppose), making it hard to get an accurate
weight; how do you weigh the damp litter stuck to the bottom of the
ferret's foot or butt?  Can you find all the litter flipped out of the
box?  Finally, it makes it hard to use the urine for other tests.  For
example, in ferrets with limited urine output, I am concerned not only
with output, but also with various testing values.  In this case, I tare
both the weight of the paper towel AND a test strip, collect the urine,
test it, THEN weigh both the test strip AND the paper toweling to get a
urine weight.  It's a sort of 2-for 1-deal than you cannot do if litter
is used.  (4 emails)

Bob C

PS: Sorry Bill, I didn't mean to confuse you with the "4 emails" note.
When people write to ask me questions, I pick out a quote, and copy it
into my word program with the note "1 email." As I get more emails asking
similar questions, I increase the email count.  Because I have limited
time, I try to answer those questions with the highest number of
questioners first.  All "4 emails" means is four different people wrote
me and asked simiar questions.  I simply forgot to erase the notation.
I wish it was a bit more nefarious.  I know, how about we all pretend
I'm sending secret messages to the FLO....

[Moderator's note: 5 FLO.  BIG]