From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:57:08 -0500
[I apologize for not giving the post's location at the Ferret Health
List http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/ferrethealth, but right now
their support folks are trying to correct a difficulty they are having
getting posts through to the site so it is not on there, yet, only in
digest.  -- Sukie]

Author wrote:
>Blood test results came back normal in all respects but now once again
>his stool is loose and somewhat seedy although it doesn't smell as bad
>as it had.  It is not as liquidy as it had been either but still not
>good.  He still only eats the Eukanuba.  I have pretty much given up on
>giving him the flagyl, he foams at the mouth and drools and spits it
>out.  I can no longer scruff him, he fights the whole time.  My problem
>is my vet suggested a biopsy of his intestine if he doesn't get better
>to check for possible cancer.  I would hate to have him undergo surgery
>if there is another alternative.  Any ideas on what possible other
>treatments or diagnosis there is out there.

Dear X: I think your vet has the right idea.  While he is strong, has
gained the weight back, and is a good surgical candidate, a biopsy is
probably the best thing that you can do right now.  It will give you
the diagnosis, and you can choose an appropriate treatment.

It is not unusual for ferrets to have relief from symptoms for 3-4 days
each time a new antibiotic is added to the regimen, even if they are not
appropriate for the condition.  I don't know why this happens, but it is
a well-reported phenomenon.

I wouldn't just look for cancer though.  Inflammatory bowel disease is a
far more likely diagnosis, and you can find more information on IBD at
www.afip.org.ferrets

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM