From:
Bill Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 18:37:17 +0000
My vet asked me to post this information and ask help from other vets and
knowledgeable people on the FML:

I have a problem with a ferret and I hoped someone could help me.  The
history is as follows: The first ferret, a 3 yo male neutered ferret was
presented with an owner complaint of being bloated, thought she felt a mass
in the abdomen.  Raadiographs revealed a large spleen, large (but within
normal limits) liver, large colon full of fecal material, no displacement of
the intestines, and poor visibility of the kidneys and bladder.  The ferret
was tx'd with antibiotics and a laxative to relieve the constipation.  The
ferret returned one week later being more depressed and lethargic, anorexic
and had lost 60g of bodyweight.  Palpation of the abdomen resulted in pain,
and the intestines felt "doughy".  A second radiograph revealed a large
liver (approx 15% larger than one week ago), a large spleen, and decreased
definition of other organs, due to fluid in the abdomen.  Glucose = 91
mg/dL.  Abdominal ultrasound revealed a homogenous liver, normal spleen, no
abnormal masses, kidneys and adrenals normal in size and shape.  Exploratory
surgery revealed a liver that was enlarged, pale and 100% infiltrated with
"disease" - I did not do histopathology, therefore I don't know if it was
neoplasia, infection or anything else.

The second ferret is an unknown age neutered male that presented with very
similar signs of anorexia, wt.  loss, depression/lethargy and a bloated
appearance.  Glucose was low at 53 mg/dL, but went back up to 122 the next
day.  An abdominal radiograph again revealed a large liver (though still
within normal limits), a large spleen, decreased definition of intestines,
normal kidneys.  Urine protein was 4+, Sp Gr.=1.011, but decreased to 1+ 72
hours later.  Abdominal ultrasound revealed a homogenous liver, but the
tissue has a different appearance than a normal liver.  Spleen, kidneys,
adrenals, intestines all appear normal.  A complete chemistry and CBC have
been performed, but results are pending.

Both ferrets live/lived in the same household and mingle with other ferrets.
The owner did take in stray ferrets on occasion, but she used strict clean
technique when handling all ferrets.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

If you can help us with information, you can contact me, Melanee Ellis, at
[log in to unmask] or (541) 465-3386 or Dr. Ron Titterington, Emerald Valley
Veterinary Clinic, Eugene, OR (e-mail, [log in to unmask]).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Melanee Ellis
Eugene, OR