From:
Jackie Hawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 22:15:35 -0800
Received a call from HSUS regarding the Spokane ferrets.  They will be
offering advice and assistance to the Spokane police AND pressuring for the
arrest of Lance Seurer.  They are concerned and also worried that the awful
torture of the ferrets is a prelude to other violent acts.  They do feel 8
counts of first degree animal cruelty will receive a stiff sentence.

My local paper had an article on animal cruelty and there are only 18 states
that have laws that make certain types of animal cruelty a felony offense.
Fortunately Washington is one of them.  The article quotes HSUS:
1.  The abuser perpetuates the context of terror, so he may not need to
resort to further violence.
2.  The abuser demonstrates his power.  It is a way of declaring: "This is
what I can do, and there is nothing you can do to stop me."
3.  The abuser says through those actions, "You may be next." and no.
7.  The abuser shows - if he/she lives alone and the violence occurs while
absence from home - he/she can feel safe no where.  We should all push for
animal cruelty laws being a felony rather than a misdemeanor if it isn't
already in your state.

Jean said to tell everyone that you have literally saved her life.  She was
at a point she felt she could not go on when all the words of support and
the supplies started coming in.  Jean's daughter has been very sick and in
ICU 5 times as of last night.  She gets abscesses in her mouth/throat and
the doctors cannot find the cause.  Some of the ferrets that were getting
better are coming up with secondary abscess also so they are a long way from
being out of the woods.  The actual count of surviving ferrets is 39 as
Jean's daughter had taken two home with her the morning of the attack.

To date, $1045.00 has been received by Jean.  I'm sorry I didn't ask if the
vet bills were caught up but from previous posts they almost were.  However,
the bills are on-going and will be.  No one knows what may appear from the
chemicals injected into their little bodies.  The majority are better and
that's very good news.  Only $15.00 has been confirmed so far being sent to
the trust account so that has to be cleared up yet which I think Scott will
be able to do early next week.

If you haven't yet, please stop by Sam's web site and sign the candle page.
We feel a memorial/tribute to the innocent little ones would be very special
for Jean.

Hugs to all,

Jackie