From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:23:53 EST
Not a week goes by that someone does not ask me about Sean and Rocky.
I get many letters saying that people miss reading about their little
conversations, Sean's questions, and their little escapades together.  I
miss writing them also.  I feel terrible that I don't write little Sean
and Rocky Diddies much anymore.  I want you all to know that I'm not
keeping Sean and Rocky from you in any way, shape or form.  I want to
explain why the Sean and Rocky postings have waned so very much over the
last year or so.  And part of the reason is due to spectacular news.

Over a year ago, we moved into a real house, as opposed to the one room
apartment we had.  Upon moving to big house with two levels and many
rooms, Sean and Rocky had far more privacy.  In the old apartment there
was no place for them to go, except for Seans favorite love seat where he
used to line up objects as opposed to love on a ferret.  At the apartment
I could hear every word Sean said to Rocky, I could even hear him if he
was in the bathroom and I was in the kitchen!  Here at the house, It's
nearly impossible to be able to hear their little conversations.

In addition, Sean is now a veteran ferreter!  Lol.  He is indeed more
knowledgeable about ferreting than the average ferret owner, I assure
you.  He has really become the little professor.  He was so full of
questions and read so much online that first year of owning ferrets he
finally began to squelch his thirst for knowledge.  What was left was
some obscure things to ask me, that related to emotions and socialness.
So what has resulted is a very informed young man who no longer asks me
many questions about ferrets.

Lastly, and here is the great news.  Sean has been on a rapid, rapid
emergence from Autism since you all first were introduced to him online
years ago.  We cannot even keep up with him.  Even the school is
chronically behind in keeping his cirriculum up to where he has advanced.
Just when we figure him out and make a plan,,,,, he changes.  It's been
mind boggling to say the least.  His improvement has not just been in
academics, however.

When I say he has been emerging out of Autism, I mean his language and
social handicaps have been approximating normalcy.  He will always be
Autistic.  This we know.  This he knows as well.  His brain will never
change and he will always think differently with Autism being very much
part of him.  But, his strategies, his compensation abilities, and his
skills can be equal to that of a normal person someday.  He is near
that right now.  This can happen nowadays due to aggressive treatment
and early intervention with Autistic children, and in some cases like
Sean ... an unexpected breakthrough as we found with Rocky three years
ago.

Sean rarely asks me bizarre questions like he used to (for example can
the sun make Rocky catch on fire if he is outside to long, lol).  This is
due to his intellect getting better.  He rarely tells Rocky things like
what its like to be human and use a potty because after three years, by
gosh he's told Rocky almost everything.  Sean rarely comes to me and asks
social-emotional questions or poses problems to me.  This is because Sean
is now getting better in this area also.

I've had to learn to accept and learn to love a "new boy" here.  The "new
boy" is very independent, stubborn and strong.  These traits can be very
exacerbating to a parent, but I remind myself that it was these traits
that helped him through the traps of Autism ... it was these traits the
doctors saw as a baby leading them to tell me his prognosis was a
positive one.

This "new boy" is being introduced in regular classes little by little.
Its not easy.  But he is progressing.  He has new friends, all sorts of
friends, that he now plays with.  This is new in his life.  He enjoys
team sports now with normal children.  This is tough, this is not
recommended by his doctors (contact sports such as hockey and basketball
of all things), but he is stubborn and wants to do them for some reason.
So as long as there are no disasters, as long as he finds his way, I'm
not interfering.  The doctors are stunned.

Sean still enjoys mornings with Rocky as he waits for his school bus each
day.  Sean still greets Rocky when he walks into the house each day.  And
Sean is devoted still to the chores and work that come along with owning
a ferret.  But their relationship has progressed, its quieter and more
mature.  They are more intimate in many ways.  They are a beautiful
phenomenon.

I will always keep you all updated as much as possible and share things.
Do be prepared, however.  Rocky is three now.  He had a bad start in life
before the shelter got him.  Surely he will not live to some ripe old
age.  And surely someday Rocky will get the illnesses so common with
ferrets.  And Sean will have to learn to deal with that.  I will be
sharing that.  As you know, life with a ferret isn't all just games,
there are hard times to.  It is all part of this beautiful thing we call
life.

Thank you,
Wolfy

Wolfy's site has MOVED to: