From:
MR CHARLES R ONKEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 13:42:39 -0500
Yesterday morning I noticed Cujo was in the litter box straining.  He had
surgery the last part of April for bladder blockage.  Two "lumps" of crystal
material each about the size of a big raisin were removed.  He has been
doing OK since then, but the problem came back.

His first surgery was done at an emergency clinic as it was a Sunday
morning.  This time, we took him to a ferret knowledgeable vet.  Yesterday,
Monday, he operated as soon as we took him in.  He removed the left adrenal
and as much of the right adrenal as he could.  Said they could be causing
the minerals to crystallize in his bladder.  Also said the bladder looked
very irritated and the prostate was enlarged...also probably adrenal
related.  He is recommending Science Diet SD and no more Sustacal or
raisins.

It is 8:30 am, Tuesday, and I have to call in a half hour to see if he made
it through the night and when we can pick him up.  The vet was going to take
Cujo home with him so he could keep an eye on him overnight.

I feel so bad for our guy.  He just had surgery eight weeks ago, and now has
had even more invasive surgery.  I know these little guys are fighters, but
how much can they take?

How do we get so wrapped up in them that they almost become our children?  I
hugged and kissed him before we took him in yesterday.  Whatever your
religious leanings, put in a good word for Cujo.

I plan to take the next three days as vacation to be at home and watch him.
What better way to spend your vacation then with a sick member of the family.
He has brought us so much laughter and love, it is the least I can do.

 Charles, Agatha, Donna, Cujo, Bandit and Snowball
    We think of Kodo every day.