From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 1995 08:54:01 -0500
Saturday night I decided to send for some old issues of the FML and I
read them until I couldn't keep my eyes opened any more.......I missed
some really interesting discussions earlier in the year!

I don't want to start any new flame wars, but I really do  want to
address a couple of issues:

To Jeanne Stadtmiller:

I was surprised at the negativism that Totally Ferret seemed to be met
with - at least originally.  Since I just explained my own personal
experiences w/ it yesterday, I won't say it again today.  You and I have
had *extremely* positive results w/ TF when it comes to sick ferrets, and
I highly recommend it.

I've spoken with Tom Willard alot myself, and he is currently working on
a formula for older ferrets.  Once that is completed, he will start work
on a different flavor (mostly to satisfy those of us who like to mix)

I don't know what condition my ferrets would be in today if it weren't for TF.

As far as the "coat yellowing"  initially I had the same problem, but that
seems to have resolved now.  My albinos and BEWs all look "white".  I have
no explanation - just an observation.

TO Mary McCarthy:

Yes, it is true that in NYS a licensed vet tech cannot perform surgery on
PET animals.  You cannot legal spay/neuter ferrets (dogs,cats) coming into
the animal hospital.

However, in a breeding facility such as Marshall Farms, it IS legal to do
that.  These are not considered pets (yet) and techs are trained to spay/
neuter/descent.  A licensed vet tech I am acquainted with interviewed for
a job at MF - I, too, questioned that aspect of it when she told me what
she would be doing and that was the explanation I was given.

As far as the great number of MF ferrets that you seen in the hospital -
MF is the LARGEST breeder of ferrets in the country - around 85% of pet
ferrets come from MF, and this accounts for the large # of MFF seen in
clinics - or anywhere for that matter.

For everybody else:

MF keeps their pet lines and research lines separate.  Animals used for
research are not mixed w/ the animals sold to retail pet stores.

Please note:  I am not an advocate for animal research OR early spay and
neutering.  If anything, I am an Animal Rights advocate.

However, the biggist reason MF spays/neuters early is due to improper care
of whole ferrets turned loose on an uninformed public - since my post on
responsible breeding only 2 days ago, I have FOUR more calls from
inexperienced people w/ YOUNG females in season who want to use my hob.  NOT
ONE of these people could give me any background info on their ferrets: i.e,
they didn't have any pedigree history at all - they couldn't even tell me
the name of the "parents" of their ferret much less go back 3 generations.
Two of these people don't even know what color their own ferret is!

So while I am not happy with early spay/neutering, under JQ public starts
acting more responsibly (I mean UNTIL JQ Public....), it is probably *safer*
for ferrets everywhere if they are neutered/spayed BEFORE hitting the retail
market.

To Bruce Williams:

I had *no* idea you did all the stuff you do out of your own personal
interest!  I thought this was your "job"  - and then to give so freely
of your time on the FML, on the telephone, and on private email - well,
what can I say???!!

There is a special place for people like you.......I can only hope that
I will "earn" a spot as well, and be lucky enough to see you there
someday with tons and tons of happy healthy critters everywhere.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA