From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2011 01:25:41 -0400
I don't have time to look up the documentation but I know that I posted
info about the genetic work to the FML, FHL, or both so it should be
easily enough found in an archive.

The relationship between gum infections and heart disease has been
noticed for some time and two hypotheses had been advanced, and in
simplistically short form they are:
1. That impaired circulation made gums more vulnerable to infection
   and
2. That wounded gums allowed bacteria to migrate to the heart

It was even found which types of bacteria seem to be common to both,
and they were rather specific ones in the last study I read on that
(though that was at least a couple of years ago, I think).

Then later a new possibility was added, and that is the genetic work to
which I was referring.The evidence was that a shared genetic variation
makes some individuals more vulnerable to BOTH gum disease and heart
disease.

I have not had time to follow the most recent work on the three
concepts, how they may overlap if more than one held up in later work,
etc. but it might be more complicated than being a simple relationship.
There may be interacting factors with cumulative effects.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html