From:
"Fritz, Gina M., HMR/US" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 08:31:31 -0500
>From:    Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: How to read the FML
>After reading posts about "necessary" bonding, I must offer the
>following:
>JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE POSTS OFTEN DOES NOT MAKE THEM A FERRET EXPERT!
>
>IF YOUR FERRET IS SICK, TAKE THEM TO YOUR LOCAL VET IMMEDIATELY.  NEVER
>RELY ON MEDICAL ADVICE GIVEN ON THE FML.

I would like to respond to Carla's post.  Normally, I stay out of the
debates but I feel I need to add another perspective, not flame.  Everyone
is entitled to their own opinion.  We've heard Carla's I would like to
offer mine.

I got my first ferret about 6 years ago.  A family member found her and
couldn't keep her.  Being an animal lover I said I would take her.  At the
time I had absolutely no clue how to take care of a ferret.  I didn't know
what to feed her, I didn't know what that noise she made was (dooking), I
didn't understand the "bottle washer" tail, I didn't know what kind of vet
care she required or how to tell if she was sick, hell, I didn't know what
kind of cage to put her in.  For 4 days she lived under a clothing basket
turned upside down with the handles taped, ate cat food and drank water out
of a (clean) ceramic ashtray.

Everyone I spoke to told me something different.  The pet store said feed
her cat food, the vet said feed her dog food, another ferret owner said
feed her turkey lunch meat, and the one book on ferrets I was able to find
told me something completely different.

While surfing the net for info.  I came across the FML and joined.  The
knowledge I've gained has been invaluable.  I believe this knowledge has
contributed to the health of that ferret and the one I later adopted.

I will give you an example.  I don't believe everything I read on the FML.
BUT..  debates such as whether or not to vaccinate your ferret have given
me all the possible scenarios of what "could" happen.  What signs to look
for, what to do if there is a reaction, what could happen if I don't
vaccinate.  It has also given me the knowledge to challenge my vet to see if
she really does know what she is talking about.  It has been my experience
that knowledgeable ferret vets are very hard to find.  My ferret vet is an
hour from my house.  When my ferrets sneeze I take them to the vet.  But
sometimes the vet doesn't have all the answers or encounters something they
have never seen nor have experience with.  Not all vets know everything,
they can't it's impossible.  So this is where the FML is invaluable.  Maybe
someone 9,000 miles away has experience with a particular illness and may
be able to offer information that will save your ferrets life.

This list has also provided me with a valuable list of resources, Anne Ryan,
Michelle Thompkins, Dr. Bruce Williams, Troy Lynn, and Pam Greene just to
name a "few".  (My list goes on and on) Not to mention the friends I've
made.

So my point being, yes some of the posts are fluff and some are too
technical and some are boring and some are sad.  But I have been given all
the options, usually based on someone's experience, and this has allowed me
to come to my own conclusion and make well informed decisions regarding my
ferrets and their health.

If it weren't for this list, its members and ESPECIALLY BIG I probably
would have been guilty of ferret abuse and not even known it.

Gina
Taylor & Dallas "Mom tell BIG thanks for his dedication to the FML and
for helping to keep us healthy and safe!"