From:
Tom Pavek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1992 12:19:30 -0500
After reading some of the discussions about tumors, I remembered
a program I saw a while ago. I don't have specifics, but the theme was on
diet, health and longevity. (I think it was on "The Discovery Channel",
as it's called in the Chicago system.)
In any case, the segment that stands out was about a National Institute
of Health program, where they had a large pool of rats, and they showed
2 control groups. One group was allowed to eat as often as they wanted,
while the other had a restricted amount. All other factors were the
same -- food type, environment, etc. Those that were free to eat as
much as they wanted were "plump", and generally healthy, however they
had a significantly larger percentage of fatty tumors thru out their
lifecycle.
Those that had a restricted quantity showed an average of 17 months
longer lifespan (I think that a rats average lifespan was given as 60
months.) Also the more mature rats in each group differed in that the
ones with the restricted diet had shinier coats, and noticably clearer
eyes.
So, this is a delimma for me...
I know that a significant part of my family's relationship with our
ferret revolves around feeding him, as he is young and brash, and doesn't
seem to respond to affection.
I'd bet most of us simply let our furries eat as often as they like:
caged, we have a full dish because we don't want him to be hungry if we're
gone all day, and uncaged, we delight in leaving another food dish near his
favorite hiding spot.

    Regards,
     Tom

[I'm under the impression that similar studies have been done on humans,
and have come up with approximately the same result.]