Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 06:50:40 -0600
We have discussed in another place, other uses of ferrets, and some said
that they can make effective "dope dogs" at airports, etc.  But, we mused
that when they found something, they would just ingest it and get real
stoned!

We know that they have a remarkable sense of smell; the problem would
become their attention span and getting them to pay attention to the job.

They are now attaching very tiny cameras to things as small as roaches.
They have also (through implants) found ways to control and "steer" the
roach where they want it.  This gives new meaning to the term "bugged".
Might it not be possible to attach a camera harness to a ferret and send
him into places like earthquake rubble to search for survivors (without
the implants, of course)?  The main problem, once again, would be in
controlling / retrieving them (and if they happened to come across a
large bottle of Ferretone somewhere, forget it!).

Gary