From:
karen vance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 21:53:46 -0500
1.  Has anyone read the children's book, "Zucchini"?  It's very cute, but
gives the reader the impression that (a) ferets are rodents-because Zucchini
was born in the rodent house at the Bronx zoo.  Well, I got over that,
considering that bats and other obviously non-rodent creatures (a shrew)
were housed there too.  Also, in the end Zucchini, a black-footed ferret,
goes home with the boy who befriended him-to be a pet, even though he's
supposed to be a member of an endangered breed!

2.  My animal protection inspector was out here yesterday (I have to be
inspected annually to keep a license to sell birds) and she was dismayed at
the 7 ferrets (golly, we found homes for 4 others last year) and she
remarked that she was saddened to see ferrets become legal in Georgia,
because people would just get tired of them and let them go, and imagine
what would happen THEN if they weren't all neutered!  I let that one slide
by, because I DO like her and she passed me, after all!

                           'Bye for now
                                    Karen Vance