Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:28:08 -0700
Hello everybody,

Mark had his arraignment today.  Fish and Game in all their usual glory had
on the paperwork that the fine or bail amount per ferret was a standard
$1,350.00.  For 13 counts, that would be a total fine of $17,550.00.
WOW!!!  And the judge let Mark know that if he would plead guilty now, he
would settle for one third, $5,850.00 plus he would suspend the other two
thirds for two years and if Mark did not get into any more trouble for
ferrets, the remaining fine would be dropped.  Needless to say, it is time
for Mark to get an attorney.  He will be going back to court on November 2,
this time hopefully with and attorney.

I don't know were Fish and Game got this standard fine of $1,350.00 per
ferret from..  When we were fined for $1,350.00, $850.00 of it was
supposedly to reimburse Fish and Game for their time spend on the
investigation and the additional $500.00 was a donation for the wildlife
fund.  That was for three ferrets.  I know for a fact that they spend a lot
less time on Mark's investigation, so were does this standard fine come
from???

UNBELIEVABLE.  $17,550.00 fine for owning ferrets and for drugs and
burglary, you get community service.  And people wonder why Californians
are so screwed up.  (the last two paragraphs are mine, write to me if you
want to flame somebody)

Thanks for your time.

Ilona, Ferretless in CA