From:
"M. Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 1996 11:48:36 -0700
Ferret Fun

OPENING NOTE: I hope to make this a regular column, weekly.  I will try to
send the posts on Friday or Saturday (every weekend).  I do not yet HAVE a
ferret, but I have read over 300 pages of information and have looked in
over 25 different sources for information.  I have come to the conclusion
that a fuzzie is right for me -- and I have been preparing to get one.  I am
taking it very slowly to make sure I do everything right.

Hi, and welcome to the first installment of Ferret Fun.  Every week I will
try to write a fun and light-hearted article.  If you have any funny stories
about your ferrets you can, of course, post them directly to
[log in to unmask] OR you can send some to me to include in this
column.  This week we are addressing the subject of home-made ferret toys.
Of course, you must always be careful when making toys.  Watch out for sharp
ends and don't use things that wouldn't be safe, like rubber and spongie
material, for instance.  Homemade toys that are very popular are below:

1) Dryer hose.  Buy top of the line dryer hose to be safe.  Or, if you are
worried about making your own, purchase the tubing made from Sheppard and
Greene that is see-through -- you can actually see your fuzzie while he or
she plays.
2) Let's face it -- large, hollow balls for ferrets are VERY expensive!  I
read in the book Ferrets by the Mortons (a good book, I must add!) that you
can make a similar toy for free by using a large milk or distilled water
carton (plastic).  Cut circular holes in a few spots on the milk carton and
you have a very cheap toy!  Of course, you should watch for wear and tear.
I gave my now deceased guinea pig milk cartons to play with and she ingested
them -- but strangely enough she lived nine years!  Milk cartons are made of
soy, and although I am not pronouncing them safe, they probably can't hurt
TOO much (if you know otherwise please send me a post!).  Of course,
anything with rough edges or getting worn should be discarded.

I hope to continue with this article and look forward to hearing feedback
from all you fuzzie owners -- I DO envy you!

M. Taylor