From:
Jeb Weisman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1992 20:54:08 EST
GEnie Pet-Net RT
Barry -

I can unerstand your concern - having recently experienced a similar problem
with one of ours - 36 hours being off food, very lethargic, and with a couple
of periods of vomitting. Hopefully, this has all passed by now, and your
ferret is well.

As near as we could tell in our situation, was that a couple of them got into
some "forbidden fruit" - in this case some french fries. One it never bothered
- while the other must have a particularly delicate stomach. Scared the
daylights out of us as it was so sudden and because of how quickly ferrets can
deteriorate, health-wise when they become ill.

It turned out fine - you've done the right think by keeping in touch with your
vet. If it continues beyond 48 hours (according to our vet's and other's
advice) - then more specific vet treatment is appropriate.

Good luck! Ann Gruden

========================
GEnie Pet-Net RT

Barry -
     Barium is in order, but it still does not show everything that could get
caught.  My method of determination:
 put 25 pieces of food in a bowl.
 put in pure, clean litter.
 mark the water bottle level.
 leave this way for 12 hours.
 if food has not been touched or stool not passed, then there is something in
the stomach or intestines.  Exploratory surgery is recommended before  the
ferret deteriorates too much.  If water has not been touched - get the ferret
to a vet IMMEDIATELY!!!!   If food has been eaten but not passed, give some
Laxatone or Petromalt (hairball remedy) and give it another 12 hours.

If no stool, - exploratory.  If stool and no eating, check the stool for
nasties and/or foreign items.  Try and force Laxatone.  Sometimes the foreign
item will pass with time on its own, but more that 48 hours and the ferret
might be too weak for surgery.   good luck and keep us posted.
Pan Grant