From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 23:59:44 -0400
Have been reading the posts regarding shelters and volunteers, I have a
few things I'd like to say.  Please remember this is my own personal
opinion and I am not referring to "everybody"- just some of us!  As each
and every ferret has it's own qualities that make it special, so do the
people who love them.  When you are involved in any kind of animal
rescue-be it horse, dog, cat, parrot ot ferret, you are setting yourself
up for some very rewarding experiences and some utterly heart shattering
ones.  It takes a very strong person to deal with the stress of animal
rescue.  Some get their strength from their love of the animal.  Some
don't have the strength, but their love of the animal helps them through
as they know they do what they do for the animal.  Then there are those
who don't have the strength.  They would love to beable to help, but
something holds them back.  Perhaps fear?  Or perhaps they are unable to
handle the stress due to their love of animals.  It doesn't mean any one
group loves the animals any more than another group.  I have talked with
several others and asked, "why don't you help?"  Their answers are
puzzling-even to them.  "I can't-I want to, but I just can't seem to
make myself!"   It's not that they don't have a deep love for these
animals-because they do!  For years and years and years I wanted to
volunteer at our local Humane Society.  Even went so far as to drive out
there and park in the parking lot-at least a dozen times.  I was never
able to get out and go in. Never!  That doesn't mean that I don't love
animals, I do.  I have my own private zoo.  I guess what I am trying to
say is that those who can-do, and those who can't-sit back with awful
lot of respect and admiration for those who can, and wish they could do
more.  So, the next time one of you shelters get an offer to help, it
could very well be coming from someone who would genuinely would like to
help, but in the end will not beable to.  We know your frustration level
is high and your rewards few and far between, and that taking time to
deal with one of these kinds of people is taking you away from other
much more important things!  Suggest other ways to help!  If they can
sew-have them make hammocks, or send them yardsaling, or get them to
involved in a way which will slowly bring them in.  I'm not saying that
everyone is like this-I'm sure you get many who are just in it for the
glory.  "Yeah, I do ferret rescue!" It sounds big and bad and impressive
and they do very little actual work!  Then you also have to deal with the
socializers-those who are there for the chit-chat-and also do very little
work!!  But the next time for phone rings, it could very well be from that
one person who needs someone like you to help them overcome their fear!
Who knows, that person may end up making a major contribution to the ferret
world and then we will all have one more reason to thank you!  I am posting
this while hiding behind anonymity as I don't want anyone to get the idea
that I can be pulled in!  I realized my limitations a long time ago!  Happy
dooks to you!

[JM]