Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 09:07:00 CDT
Hi All -
What a chore moving is!!!!!!!  Worked straight for 3 days and no food,
pop though.  I was too busy to eat and wasn't hungry anyway.  We are in,
at least the living breathing beings are, I still have "stuff" in storage
to get out and some left in the trailer.

Ferrets are loving it.  I think they've covered every single inch of the
carpet.  Wouldn't use the litter boxes for the first couple of days.  I
HATE carpet.  Oh well, it cleans up real nice and you can't tell.  I'm
sleeping on a mattress on the floor and usually wake up with ferrets in
bed. Kind of neat.  They seldom slept with me before.

Just got back to work today.  Need another week off.  Had two stress attacks,
one was when the people transporting the ferrets had a cage come open and a
ferret jump out at midnight.  Shawn sure was fast - he caught her before she
even knew she was out - the other five were fine.  They didn't tell us till
a day later.  Figured we were stressed enough.  Then we got off on our head
count - the girl checking off names skipped one so I thought we had 11 in the
last batch and could only find 10.  Then when we got there completely missed
closing up one baseboard under a small cabinet - couldn't get the ferrets
out - too small of an area to reach into so I used the cake spatula to make
sure the sides and back were solid and let them stay - counted 43 ferrets
with 4 missing, felt 3 in the baseboard area but must have been 4.  Still
paniced but Nancy saw the 4 MIAs earlier that evening - misidentified a
wet ferret so we had an unknown, started out 2 people bathing and they
asked me who the ferret was AFTER it was bathed - do you know how difficult
it is to tell them apart when they are WET???!!!

So I am exhausted!  I wish they'd quit pooping on the carpet. I know lost
cause.  I was hoping to get away with less litter boxes, NOT.  I told Nancy
that GOD is the only one that could possess me to do this.

Dogs are lost.  They think I'll leave them.  They follow me everywhere and
are always within inches of me.  I love them but need my space.  We're all
tired and stressed.

Ferret enclosure isn't finished yet.  Just need to wire the bottom that is on
the grass area.  Ground wasn't level so there is a large gap.  I'm thinking
of attaching the wire and putting cement blocks all around.  Maybe a week or
two.  The ferrets seem to be preoccupied with the new house.

The ferrets have their own room and they know it.  They pretty much sleep
in there and play all over the house.  Kitchen and bathroom are favorite
potty spots, maybe because they are linoleum and that is what they are use
to.  I love laying on the carpet.  Only one futon in the living room and
a few folding chairs to sit on but it works.  Less furniture = more room.
Tried to push things against walls to stop them from pooping there, huh!
You know how strong a determined ferret is.  Oh well.  We had to go back
to newspapers in the litter boxes, they weren't using the rabbit litter and
I'm not using clumping on the carpet, don't like clay so....  I may try the
newspaper litters again, they didn't like them last time but...

Nancy was the only one at the house when the first batch of ferrets arrived
(21). she said she wished someone had been there to share the experience.
They came out of the carriers with puffed tails and hopped, bopped, galloped,
chirped, chortled, and just had a great time.  I came with the last bunch
(remember the 10 that I thought should be 11) so we had to keep them confined
till we took the head count so they missed the fun and me too.

I love the controlled temperature and Teddy Bear (8 yrs insulinoma) is eating
better and walking around.  Poor baby, she must have been so miserable at the
old place.  Visitors every day now - no wonder I'm not getting anything done.
Nancy has been great, she worked so hard cleaning the appliances and VCR,
staying there and supervising all the work.  She really worked hard and I'd
have been in a tough spot without her.  She's staying the first week till we
feel comfortable.  She said she's having fun but she was sure tired this
morning, first day back to work for both of us and the ferrets are back in
there off morning routines.  You NEVER get a full nights sleep at our house.
If I could just figure out how to keep the ferrets up during the day....

Guess I better get to work.  Hugs to all and if you are in our area stop
by and see us.  tle and the still hopping and bopping 47!