From:
"Scarlet L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:36:58 -0500
Hi Everyone,

It's been a little while since I posted.  My CJ has been very sick.  He
has been battling adrenal disease for about three years now and has been
through two adrenal surgeries.  Over the weekend his urethra became
blocked.  He had no strength to walk or even lift his head.  At about 5am
on Saturday I took him to a vet that was opened all night.  I had made
the painful decision to have him put to sleep but the vet wanted to try
one more thing.  They aspirated his bladder and his prostate which seem
to relieve him.  Yesterday he saw his regular vet who gave him another
injection of lupron and started him on some antibiotics.  He told me that
CJ most likely won't last another year.  This is not news to me although
it still makes me sad.  I really thought he was a goner over the weekend.
I kept telling him that it was time to go.  It was hard to see him
suffer.  But he yet again pulled through.

This is a ferret who has, in his almost 7 years, fallen from a loft
balcony in my old apartment, survived bad allergic reactions to his
vaccinations, fell through a hole in the cabinet floor at another old
apartment, and landed in my downstairs neighbors apartment unharmed.
Last summer he also had a blocked urethra which in turn became infected.
He pulled through that, too.  I told my vet yesterday that I really
thought he would not make it through the weekend.  He said that CJ has
a really strong will to live.  I always have known how stubborn he is so
I shouldn't be surprised by this. ;-)

Anyways, yesterday this made me realize that I need to be prepared
for when this happens.  I figured out who I would call that will be
supportive when the time comes to say goodbye to CJ for good.  I know
that I will need to take some time off from work as well.  I am so
grateful for having CJ in my life!  I know that there's not much time
left so I will cherish every moment I still have with him.

Now to my question: CJ's hind legs have gotten weak over the past week.
I'm not sure if this is still from not feeling well from the weekend or
if he is starting to lose some use of them due to the adrenal problems.
His glucose levels were very low over the weekend.  He is eating now and
is walking, but is a bit wobbly still.  I keep thinking about Lois'
Tazzie and his wheels.  It's hard to believe that just a few years ago
that this was a ferret that would run to the bath tub, jump in, and knock
all the shampoo bottles down faithfully every morning.  I would lay in
bed and laugh.

I've looked back over the years that I've had my three ferrets.  Every
time I think of each one of them it is with unconditional love.  They
have been the source of much joy in my life.  What a gift it is to have
known this in my lifetime.

Jennifer and the Frolicking Ferreteria in Phoenix;
CJ, Cindy, & Petey TPO-2