Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 18:04:58 -0800
Congrats on the new fuzzy!!  I hope that you've done your homework,
though.  You're enbarking on a journey that will be an interesting one.
Don't be too nervous about raising your new fuzzy, as long as you have
done lots of research you'll be fine.  What you don't know you will either
learn from other fuzzy owners or from your ferret.  Ferrets are great
teachers and experiance will teach you more than many books ever could.
If we can help you, don't hesitate to ask us!!  I love to share what I've
learned with others!!

>1. I don't have a cage set up, but I have a room with a completely
>linoleum floor set up for him.  It has a litter box, food bowl and a water
>bottle (attached to the wall).  I have some cat toys and some old baby
>toys in the room that I thought to be safe enough.  (nothing that could be
>ripped off etc.) I also have a whole walk in closet full of old clothes
>that he can sleep in.  Is this ok for until I do buy a cage (I'm looking
>at a cage the same day I look at him.) I don't plan on waiting too long,
>of course.

For now until you buy a cage I think that that would be fine.  My ferrets
have a room that sounds like it is very similarly set up yours.  Their
cage is never ever closed and I have never had a problem.  Just make sure
that the room is carefully checked for anything harmful (foam or rubber
objects, pencils with or without erasers, small openings ect.) I would
suggest that you try to get a cage very soon, though.  You new fuzzy will
need an enclosed space that they can feel secure in.  If you can't
possibly get a cage try putting some bedding in a box that has the bottom
flap cut off, or something similarly enclosed to offer a secure sleeping
place.

>2. What kinds of things should I watch out for when he first comes home?
>How much time should I spend with him?  A lot so he gets used to me or
>give him some time to adjust first?

If he is a kit watch and make sure that he in not eating his bedding.  My
second fuzzy was notorious for eating holes in bedding.  If he does start
eating bedding try buying him Super Chews, Cheweasles, Foamy Fries, or
something similar that is made to be chewed and can be passed by ferrets.
Watch and make sure his poops are firm and the color is okay.  When I
first got my ferrets the first day I would spend I would spend 15-20
minutes playing with the ferret.  I tried to give them plenty of time to
adjust to their new home.  One thing that I have known to be sucessful in
getting your fuzzy used to you is to bring a book (or a magazine or
something) into your fuzzy room and to just sit and read.  If your baby
comes over to snuggle or to see what you're doing, great.  If not, that's
okay too don't worry too much, he'll get used too you in time.  I try to
adjust the amount of time to suit the ferret.  If the ferret really seems
to like you being there stay, but if he seems overwelmed or startled, back
off a little bit.For the first few days you should try to avoid too many
visitors, if possible.  Your fuzzy will appreciate it.

>3. Is cat litter safe to use?  It is non-clumping regular clay litter.
>If this is not safe, what should I use?

Not really.  Some people get by using it, but I would greatly discourage
it.  If price is a serious consideration I have found Pine Fresh cat
litter to be great.  It is a pelleted wood litter that is relativley
inexpensive, long lasting, dust free to prevent respitory problems, and
my ferrets seem to like it.  I get it at my local super market.  Newspaper
litters are great too, such as Yesterdays News.  Cat litter can be harmful
to a ferrets sensitive respitory system, so you should try to stay away
from it if at all possible.

>4. Should I encourage him to play right away or not?  Will he want to
>play or will he be too scared?

If he really wants to play, them play.  If he seems scared then take
things more slowly.  I find it just like playing with a child, or even a
boyfriend or girlfriend.  Suit the time you spend with him to suit his own
personal needs.  It all depends on the ferret.  Personall, my first little
kit took about two weeks to fully adjust.  My second ferret seemed to take
twominutes to make himself feel at home.  Every ferret is different.