Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 05:35:06 -0800
Why does it seem as though you are sticking up for DM? Have you been
out there lately? Do you really know what is going on out there? I
have had a group out there twice and both times, the conditions were
implorable, the second time being worse than the first. It sounds to me
that you agree with the way he is doing things. Should that be true,
then we have to wonder if you are going to use the same breeding
practices with your animals.

Let me specify a few things. Adequate Shelter: consists of shelter to
protect the ferrets from the weather elements. What is provided for
these ferrets is a sheet metal roof, that lies haphazardly over a
structure, doesn't meet in the middle and the sides of the cages are
not covered, meaning, the vulnerable ferrets are not protected from the
blowing rain and snow. The rain and snow then sits on the fur and the
winds cause it to freeze. How comfy for these ferrets eh? I can see how
ferrets can freeze to death. Food and Water: yes, frozen mink food and
frozen water is always there for the ferrets. They cant consume much
of it being frozen and all, but hey, the owner provided something for
them huh? It is starting to make sense to me now. It isnt the owners
responsibility to make sure the food and water is consumable for these
helpless caged animals, just their responsibility to provide it. I
guess the ferrets should learn to start a fire to keep the food and
water from freezing? Give me a break.

Another problem is the over breeding. Tis the season for the ferrets to
breed. Knowing that they have more than they can afford to care for and
properly care for should prompt them to not allow anymore to breed.
Right? Well, they arent avoiding that. They are allowing breeding to
go on. Put on your thinking cap. Do some math. He says his females
produced large litters. We will say an average of 8 kits. Lets say
there are 100 females left and remember, they are still breeding. All
the gals give birth to litters of 8, that is 100 times 8...um opps I
did it again (as Brittany Spears sings) then the calls go out to the
ferret community again....please help poor DM as he has more ferrets
than he can handle. It is a vicious cycle with him. He does this alot.
It is time to stop this as they are not willing to put a stop to it
themselves. Go ahead, stick up for DM and his bad habits, but know
this, it isn't going to stop us from closing him down. This inhumane
treatment of these ferrets needs to stop and nothing you say will
persuade the ferret communtiy to give up. We are tired of this and
are now taking action that should have been taken a long time ago.

Lora Blaisdell
Michigan Ferret Rescue inc.
www.miferretrescue.org

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still
I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do."
-- Helen Keller