From:
Jeanne Carley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 14:38:13 -0800
Hello Sukie and FMLers,

I'd met Dr. Star over the phone because he wasn't really pleased with my
original press release about Rocky's death when I sent it out in January
and had called back then to complain.  I'd said that science played no part
in his euthanizing and that was the message to every ferret owner in
California.  I also told him that the interests of the public health could
not be served by driving ferrets and their owners further underground.  We
did agree to disagree on ferret ownership though he had no idea they were
domesticated.  He and I also agreed to keep each other up to date on the
progress, if any, in California towards making a decision on whether or not
to implement a quarantine based upon the new NASPH compendium, and I
committed to speaking with him regarding any future press releases
regarding rabies.

I told Dr. Star that if I didn't hear from him by mid-Feb.  that I'd give
him a call which I did on Friday.  He wasn't in, but I received a call from
him this morning.  He left a message stating that they hoped to meet in
person with some of the folks from CDC in the next two weeks, and hoped to
make a decision within the month (I don't know if that means by the end of
the month, or within a month).  The California Veterinary Medical
Association (CVMA) has been pressuring them to make a decision and I know
that the California Animal Control Director's Association (CACDA) has also
weighed in-- they, after all, are literally on the front lines with ferret
owners.

Next week at the Humane Expo in San Diego, CACDA will be distributing at
least 75 copies of the compendium that I sent to the president, and the
directors of the State Humane Board of California will also each receive a
packet, so I believe the health department will be further encouraged to act
quickly on this issue.

Let's hope they do the right thing soon, and accept the NASPH
recommendations for ferrets involved in bite circumstances.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization (CFL)
410 Mountain Home Road  Woodside, CA  94062
http://www.ferretnews.org-- CFL Website
CALIFORNIANS, YOU CAN FIND OUT YOUR STATE SENATOR BY VISITING THIS SITE!!
CALL AND WRITE YOUR SENATOR AND GOV. WILSON--DON'T LET OUR BILL DIE!
For pure ferret fun, check out http://www.ferretcompany.com