From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 18:59:57 -0400
>Can anyone tell me how long ECE should last or if a ferret can get ECE
>again after once having it? Also, Kelleen has a 4 mo old ferret who needs
>a spay, is there any problems associated with ECE?

Uncomplicated ECE in a young, healthy ferret generally lasts 7-10 days, but
the animals may then shed the virus for 6 months or more.  Additionally, in
about 20% of cases, there is an extended time of illness due to an
overaggressive immune response to the presence of the virus, and a chronic
wasting syndrome may result.

ECE usually gives good protection against reinfection, but the inflamed gut,
especially in the ferrets with the prolonged illness is very sensitive to
any time of upset, and animals may look like they have broken again (but
they really haven't).

If the young ferret has completely recovered, there should be no problem
with the spay - however, the virus may be passed to other animals in the
clinic -

Best regards,

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Chief Pathologist, AccuPath
Dept. of Veterinary Pathology               [log in to unmask]
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology