From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 12:33:26 -0800
Anne~
Your post really got to me and I can certainly empathize with you on this
tough decision.  I did not know your brother and cannot pretend to know
what he wanted except for the fact that he trusted all of you to take care
of his ferrets.  It is obvious to me that you are doing your absolute best
with limited resources and often one must make a decision that is best for
the ferrets - not necessarily the most appealing one for the human.  It
sounds like your parents are also suffering and mourning the loss of your
brother and simply don't understand what to do with the ferrets either.
My belief is that your brother loved them very much, and would want what
is best, whether it is with you or your parents or someone else.

Is there anyone in your area that could provide a good, permanent home
for them?  I have NOTHING against shelters at all, but these ferret have
already been through enough lately and probably would not do well in a
shelter (older ferrets and "shelter shock").  There are many kind shelter
operators out there that would be willing to take them and provide really
great care, possibly even keeping them as their own.  It is certainly
difficult to find homes for older ferrets that have adrenal cancer, but
such wonderful people exist.  I can think of one right now...but they are
in Tennessee.

I agree that Bruce Williams is wonderful and I am glad that his clinic has
been helping out as much as they can.

Please think of the ferrets well-being over what you think your brother
would have wanted, I am quite sure he would want what's best for the
ferrets (and would not want to cause this much stress for his family).  It
is understandable why you feel as you do.  I hope that someone will step
forward to help you out at this time.  Perhaps you could appeal to your
parents from an emotional perspective of how important these ferrets were
to your brother?  If they have the money, they should be happy to pay for
medical treatments, which is what your brother would have done/wanted.  I
bet you could convince them of this.

I know you will do what is right.  You came to the right place to find help
and kind people.  I am so sorry over the loss that you and your family have
just suffered.

Please take care and keep all of us informed.