From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:37:02 -0400
>The second is that if you are adopting out any animal, even expensive
>ones such as exotic bird which can cost thousands of dollars, you should
>GIVE the animal away, rather than asking money for them.

Christine,

I have to agree with the points you make, but I disagree with the
conclusions.  Consider the other side of the story.  People are far more
likely to take on a free animal than one they have to pay for.  Some
people will adopt free animals they wouldn't even *dream* of paying
for.  If they don't have to pay, then they aren't making the financial
"investment" and they're also less likely to make the serious commitment.
Free adoptions also attract the people who don't have the funds to commit
to buying an animal - or to pay for its ongoing needs.  Obviously this
doesn't apply to everyone, but the point is, when you're adopting your
pets to strangers, it can be difficult to tell who is the good apple and
who is the bad.  So by charging a nominal adoption fee, you at least weed
out a few of the bad apples.

We've all seen ads saying "serious inquiries only"....that's the effect
we're aiming for here with adoptions, too.

Also on your "return them if they don't work out" point, I believe that
people will be *far* more likely to return your pets to you if you offer
to refund the adoption fee to them than they will be if the pets were
free.  Let's face it, in many people's minds, free pets are throw-away
pets.  (Shoot, to far too many people, even paid-for pets are throw-away
pets.)

So I agree with you in principle - you shouldn't look to make a profit or
even break even when adopting out your pets - but do I think you need to
charge a small fee just to help ensure that the new owners understand
that they are making a major commitment.  If the adoption works out, then
give the money to a shelter or animal charity.  Then your pets have a
new, caring home, other shelter animals benefit, and you don't make a
penny from giving away your babies.

roger & the wolverine wannabees
missing bear and lancelot