From:
Angela Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 10:25:57 +0100
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here.

I have two small children.  15 months and 3 years.  We have 3 cockatiels
(got them 2 days before christmas last year), 1 cat (12 years old), 1 pug
dog (11 months), 3 ferts (5 - 6 years), 4 buns (4 - 5 years), 2 aquariums
(1 a present 2 years ago and the other a present last year), and a hamster
(got yesterday for my 3 year old).

My 3 year old helps me to do the rounds.  She helps to feed and water each
critter.  She knows when it is out time for them and she knows when it's
time for them to be put to "bed", as she calls it.  When the dog wants
attention and to play, he goes to her, the cat sleeps in her bed at night.
The ferts love to see her because they know they'll get treats, so do the
buns.

Okay, we are still working on our 15 month old but she's getting there.
She's learned to be nice when petting the animals in our household.  She's
learned to give the buns carrots.  Okay, she'll take a bite before she
gives it but she does and she's very nice about it.  She also plays with
a dog a bit now too.  She'll take a pig ear and toss it across the room
for him.  Of course, this is all supervised.

I believe that children need to learn from an early age to respect and
love all living things.  Keeping everyone in this house healthy and happy
is a lot of work but believe me, seeing the love that my 3 year old has
for the pets it is all worth it.  The respect and love that she has for
our pets has also seeped over into other things.  If she hears another
child crying in the neighborhood she stop and tell me, "Oh-oh, baby
crying." As if she wants to go and make them feel better.  If her sister
is crying, she'll stroke her head and tell her that it's okay.  I think
that the pets have taught her a lot more about love than I ever could have
done alone.

I can understand the reasoning behind shelters not wanting to adopt to
homes with small children.  I do also believe however that they should
look all of the circumstances.  Is this a family that has just lost one
ferret and would like another one?  Is their child responsible around
animals?  Are there other animals in the household that the children help
to care for?  I really don't agree with them simply say no because there
is a small child.

Okay, I'm done rambling.

Angela and the Zoo