From:
"Jim Anon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 1990 13:24:40 -0400
I recently received the following letter.  I have been in contact with
Mr. Phillips (Bill) and reprint it here with his permission.

> The California Domestic Ferret Association
> P.O. Box 1868
> Healdsburg, CA  95448
> (707) 431-2277
>

> Dear Ferret Lover:
>
>    First, let me explain that this letter was mailed to you as a cour-
> tesy by Bruce White of Ferret World.  The Ferret World mailing list is
> absolutely confidential, and even though Bruce has worked with us for
> several years he would not give us access to your name directly, but
> agreed to forward this letter to you
>    The CDFA has been in existence for over seven years, working to
> legalize domestic ferrets as companion animals in California.  We have
> been involved in virtually every piece of litigation involving ferrets
> in this State since 1985; in fact, through our efforts and negotiations
> with the California Department of Fish and Game, owners of confiscated
> ferrets are now given the option of removing them from the State
> themselves, rather than having the ferret automatically destroyed.  This
> year we came close to our goal of seeing companion ferrets legalized.
> We got our bill drafted by Legislative Counsel, but we did not secure an
> author ... this time.
>    We have at least two promised authors for the 1991-1992 Legisla-
> tive session, but we have been told by both persons we need to re-
> cruit membership and organize our efforts for the upcoming political
> fight.  WE CAN SUCCEED IF WE GET ENOUGH SUPPORT FROM FERRET LOVERS IN
> CALIFORNIA.
>    How can you help?  First make photocopies of the letter, petition,
> and application.  Make sure every friend and relative you know who
> would or should support our efforts gets a copy.  If they say they
> will join, keep reminding them until they do.
>    Every person who joins will receive a map of their Senate and
> Assembly Districts to assist them in collecting names on our
> petitions.
>    We need members in every District of the state.  We especially need
> the names of veterinarians who treat ferrets and who would help us
> recruit members and collect petitions.
>    When you receive your copy of "The Weasel Help Monthly", our bi-
> monthly newsletter (mailed to you in an unmarked envelope) you will be
> kept abreast of what we are doing and how you can help.  The WHM is our
> way of communicating with our members, and directing and coordinating
> our efforts.  Without this coordination we will not succeed.  With it, we
> will see domestic ferrets legal in California by 1992.
>    Rest assured that if you choose to respond to us directly, your
> name and address will be kept absolutely confidential.  No one can
> gain access to our membership list.  The only person with access to the
> list in our organization is myself.  As the founder, Executive Director,
> and attorney for the CDFA, all information on members is absolutely
> privileged, and thus protected by law.
>    WE NEED YOUR HELP!  PLEASE JOIN US NOW AND NEVER HAVE TO WORRY
> [...]

In speaking to Bill, I got a good feeling about his security, and
his efforts above and beyond the call of duty in the efforts towards
legalizing and protecting ferrets.  I would urge those who can help
to do so.  Become a member and assist with the petition.  I can send
you a copy of letter, petition and application if you drop me a line,
or Bill can send the set if you contact him, or you can just send him
$30 with your name, address, and phone to join.  I can arrange to send
some copies to Chris if he is willing to forward them on to those of you
who are extra security concious.  If you don't live in CA (I don't now,
but I may return), and have friends of ferrets who do, contact them and
push for support (signatures, membership).

Membership is $30/yr to help defray the printing, mailing, phone costs
for the CDFA.  You don't need to own a ferret to join (None of us who
live in California own ferrets, they're illegal).  Membership in the
CDFA also gets you the newsletter, a membership in FURO, a copy of
"A Business of Ferrets" which is the CDFA rebuttal to California Fish
and Game's myths/legends about ferrets, and lots of warm fuzzies.

Jim
uunet.UU.NET!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!control.austin.ibm.com!jim