From:
Judy Deblasio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 10:59:05 EDT
Jennifer,

You are not in this boat alone.  I had a ferret who developed insulinoma
somewhere around 8yrs old.  She also refused to eat on her own.  This
never changed for the rest of her life.  I feed her 4x's a day for over
1yr and 1/2.  I would NOT recommend not feeding her for a period of time
to see if she eats on her own...too much of a chance her sugar will drop
and you will wind up with a bigger problem.  My life was also restricted
to her feedings and medications times.  It was a sacrifice I was happy to
make for her after all the years of happiness she had given me.  She was
my baby and I'd do anything for her.

Some suggestions... In order to be sure she was getting the proper
nutrition she needed I would grind up her Totally Ferret to a fine powder
with a coffee blender, fill a Tupperware and store it in the frig.  Every
night I'd take some of that and soak it with water (enough to make it
like duck soup consistency) and store in the frig also.  When I was
ready to serve I would add more water and Gerber's Turkey baby food (for
increased Protein for the Insulinoma).  Heat in the microwave to take
off the chill (make sure no hot spots before feeding).  If I were you, I
would feed at least 3x's a day...ideal is 4.  I feed my ferret in the
morning before work, at lunch, when I came home from work and before I
went to bed.  Meds were given twice a day every twelve hours.  If I had
to go out, I had someone I trusted who (I taught how to feed her) come
and feed her.  I also had a sitter for lunch time.  That might help you.
I feed 1 tablespoon each feeding because that was all she would take...I
believe it should be at least 40cc's per feeding?

Bathroom issues.... My little girl did the same thing.  As they age they
loose control.  It's not their fault and it is humiliating to them.  I
would clean a lot and always reassure her it was OK.

Also, a trip to vet is a good idea to be certain something else isn't
going on that is causing her not to want to eat, he can give you meds
to increase the appetite.  Usually when they won't drink from the water
bottle, they don't feel well.  My little girl did the same thing, I had
to hold a little dish of water for her to drink at each feeding (like a
Sushi dish).  MAKE SURE she gets enough water...it is as important as
the food.  You don't want her to dehydrate, it will take her down.

Hang in there, I know it's hard....but in the end, it's all worth it and
you'll be proud of the care you gave your baby.

Judy