From:
Judi Lunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 10:08:56 -0400
Hello all and happy holiday, in advance.  My employers bought me the modem I
needed to hook up my home Mac to AOL, which will be done shortly.  Guess
they're sick of me spending the day doing non-work-related stuff!  They just
don't understand!  Anyway, I'm grateful, and look forward to having AOL at
home.  I understand what Karen Marsh is talking about, all too well.  She and
I have probably mastered that "trying to look busy at work" appearance!

To Sean (new owner) about your 6 week old biter.  Don't panic!  My "baby",
Bailey, was the absolute worst baby ferret ever born.  He bit and bit, and
drove everyone crazy, including his mom.  I did the nose flicking and cage
confinement, and also (which I read on the FML) stuck my finger into his
mouth and gently gagged him.  That seemed to work better than the other
methods.  Bailey is now 9 months old and the biggest, mushiest, sweetest boy
in town.  He kisses and snuggles, and I truly believe it was just a baby
trait that so many of our fuzzies go through.  Just be patient and it will
pass.  I have 5 boys now, and I added them as they grabbed my heart.  Murphy
came to live with us when our first (Riley) was about 10 months old, but the
others were added with shorter time spans between them.  I agree that 2 are
better than 1, because they're such fun to watch.  My philosophy is:  5 is
better than 4!  My relatives say that Stephen King would have a field day
writing a book in my house.  I use the clumping litter, as I've never had a
problem with it and it's much neater.  My guys spend VERY little time in
their boxes anyway!  They don't inhale it or sit in it, and they don't dig in
it like they did with the regular litter.

To Paula Smith:  PLEASE don't leave Kitka out and loose when there is a
chance the real estate broker will be stopping by.  Put her in the cage and
be safe.  After my experience last weekend, I trust absolutely no one.

Speaking of which, a long time friend is coming to my house from Florida in 2
weeks.  She's never visited and never met a ferret.  Should be an interesting
week.  No chairs around the kitchen table (all lined up behind the sofa, like
a train); little tents, cardboard boxes, PVC pipe, dry food on floor, having
been dug out by Casey; mounds of blankets, 5 litter boxes (and some corners
with paper towels); some corners with little gifts from my guys; all in all,
it should be fun.  I'll be taking the week off, but my guys will be spending
lots of time in the cage.  Best friend or not, she's a human being and not to
be trusted!  One more thing:  I got all this PVC pipe, with the elbows, etc.,
thinking the guys would have a blast.  They ran through it once.  Then I got
a delivery at Christmas in a long cardboard box (approx. 4.5" square x 5.5'
long) and I lean this box against the couch, slanting down to the floor.  The
five fiends actually line up to slide down this thing, much like kids at the
slide on a playground!  They are hysterical!.  After one slides down, he
climbs back up on the couch to have another turn, but as a rule they actually
wait their turn!  Somebody ought to tell Rachel Lamb that they're not only
adorable, friendly and funny, but they're also POLITE.

Hope you all have a great holiday.  Enjoy your babies and I'll do the same.
(The homeless boys arrive this Saturday from Pittsburgh, so I'll get to play
with them for a few hours before their new mom comes!)

Dr. Williams:  there aren't enough words anywhere to thank you for being such
a wonderful help.  I was really glad to see that you'll still be active on
the FML.  I photocopy everything you say and pass it on to my vet.  She's
very grateful too.  You do, however, deserve to have a life and some time,
and I share all my fellow ferreters' wishes for you in that regard.  Take it
easy and enjoy!

Sorry so long, Judi Lunn, Riley ("I had a nice outing on Sunday!"), Murphy
("Where's my damn music box?"), Casey ("I get the slide next, not that pushy
big guy!"), Bailey ("Your sneakers are MINE now, so forget it, Mom"), and Taz
("OK Riley, the outing was OK, but you're older than me, and frankly, I was
really glad to get home!")