From:
Grace Sylvan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 1994 09:47:00 PDT
Jonathan Adams asks:

> Subject: any ferrets make it through life healthy?

> I have been reading this list for a while now and have noticed
> something.  It seems like an awful high percentage of ferrets get
> sick and die at all ages.  Now this may be like the news: only bad
> stuff is consistenly reported.  But I was wondering do ferrets ever
> lead a basically ill-free life until death?

Most human beings are sick with something when they die, even if they
die of old age.

Ferrets are small, and have a (compared to human) short lifespan. My
four ferrets all died at ages 7 years and older. One had a medical
problem (not fully identified) when he died. They all died without
seeming to be in pain or suffering.

> It seems like there are so many illness.  I know its the same for
> humans, but it still seems like the average human goes through life
> without so many life threatening illness as our favorite fuzzies
> seem to get.

It's also that humans are larger animals, with more reserves. If a
person doesn't feel well and doesn't eat for a few days, it's not a
big deal. For a ferret, they need help, or they will get too weak and
disoriented.

Tigger (Grace Sylvan)                Mom of Katherine Yelena, 5,
[log in to unmask]              Corey 1/31/91; we loved him so,
                                     Robin Gregory, 2.5