From:
WENDY HOCHMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:29:08 -0800
Hearts are heavy here at Harmony House.  Today I had to make a trip to
Tufts U, vet clinic to help my beloved German Shepherd Gerry get to
Rainbow Bridge.

Gerry may have been a German Shepherd but everyone who knew her knew
that to her any small animal was her puppy.  She used to get so angry at
the ferrets because they would not settle down when she decided it was
nap time.

We had a close call with her a couple months ago when the local vet
placed hie on Rymidal.  It caused her to have a stroke.  Even thought
she was 13 she made a recovery.  But last night I knew something was
wrong.  She followed me into the kitchen but would not eat a treat.
When she lay on her bed she kept crying.  SHe knew something was wrong
and she was coming to me for help.  By the morning she couldn't even
stand, so I carried her to my vehicle and drove her to Grafton where
the Vet collage is.

The attendant was wonderful.  she came out to my vehicle with a gurney
and she took Gerry to a room to prep her.  Gerry never cared for vets but
she was to weak to fight.  When I entered the room she didn't even pick
up her head until I sat down next to the table.  She struggled to lift
her head to place it on my arm.  I just sat there holding her head and
stroking her.  Even though she couldn't hear me I was letting her know
how much we loved her.

The Senior year vet student came in with the two injections.  He told me
that I was making the right decision as far as ending Gerry's suffering.
I was then suprised when he said "I want to thank you for what your
doing".  He had seen the papers I had signed declaring that I was going
to leave Gerry'd body there where she would be used at the collage for
students.  The Collage is only allowed to use donated pets and they don't
get many so 5 to 10 students have to team up on one animal for their
studies.

Gerry passed quickly and quietly.  She was gone even before the vet had
gotten the scope plugs up to his ears.  I gave Gerry one last hug before
I got up to leave.

I'm sure Dino would make sure he would be off duty for Gerry's arrival
at the bridge.  He most likely had already allerted Casper to gather up
Mefur, Smoky and Merlin from the catland, Jack from dogland and asked
Sandy and Muldoon to round up Gizmo, Goldrush and Numa to let them know
that Mommy Dog was on her way.

With a Heavy Heart
Here at Harmony House