From:
"William (Andy) Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:27:30 -0800
Roga Mae, Ali Quid and UrthWyte left me in in a very short period about
this time last year.  I dropped off reading the FML some years ago because
there was so much to read, and I couldn't really contribute OR read it
all, and so I simply rejoiced in my time with the ferrets I had and let
the FML go.  That was some years ago, this is now.  I've rejoined the FML
because of the problem of 'ferret addiction'.

My ferrets were getting to that 7 to 10 years of age range last year, and
age took its toll within a six month period.  I didn't acquire kits (and
remain ferret-less) because of an unstable job situation.  I took care of
the ferrets I had, and I want to be reasonably sure I can do so again
before I acquire more.

I don't know if asking this makes any sense, but is there a shelter
'around' the Bellingham, WA area _or_ someone in Watcom County with plenty
of ferrets (in lieu of a shelter) that wouldn't mind a little help once
or twice a month?  I'm looking to do some sort of work with the ferrets
such as cage cleaning in exchange for spending time with the ferrets.

It is embarrassing, awkward, and for the memories, painful to make such a
request.  I'm not really comfortable with the thought of visiting someone
I've never met just to spend time with pets that are not mine.  A shelter
is more appropriate, but there doesn't appear to be one nearby.  Even
then, it's odd to have a visitor who 'shops but never buys', I would
think.  I've thought of visits to a pet store, but somehow that would be
worse especially as I would refuse to get a ferret from a pet store if I
were in a position to acquire another, and I would say so if asked.  Some
moron dumped Mae & Ali off like used clothing, and UrthWyte joined us when
a couple moved into a place that didn't permit pets.  I'm not upset with
pet stores, I wouldn't have thought anything of ferrets as pets save some
clerk who let me handle a kit.  Some people need to be the ferret's first,
and that's ok.  Just not me.

I feel like saying so much more, however I'm not comfortable with the FML
as a forum for me to grieve and tell stories 'in memory of'.  I so very
much want to talk to someone about things like "the package of pop-tarts
that didn't get away" a shiny foil package that somehow sprouted four
feet and a tail.  So many things I want to talk about with someone who
understands... and mostly I'd just like some time playing chase, or
'squish the lumpy crinkle-bag' and other ferret/hooman-games.

I'd acquire another two or three if I could, but I can't at this time.
I've a terrible case of ferret withdraw that doesn't show signs of ever
letting up.  The only thing worse than making this post to the FML for me
is doing nothing, and wishing that awful ache would just go away.

--Romaq