From:
Katherine Robson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 02:45:05 -0500
Hello,
        I saw a bunch of subjects in the last FML that I would like
to comment on...

_Declawing_ I'm against such things. Our guys started ripping at our
couches ad Idefix wouldn't leave the buttons alone. So we went out
and bought material and reapolstered the couch and took off the
buttons. Now it looks better than ever. Our other couch is a
different matter. They still scratch but on the underneath side. We
figure, if we can't see it, who cares. I think declawing is inhuman,
because you're doing for you're own cosmetic purposes and not for the
health of the animal. I believe that people should research a pet
before buying it and than decide to take the good with the bad or not
at all. But then again, I can't even bear to eat an animal, so I
guess I'm  just another bleeding heart commie who has no sense of
reality...

_Kissing_ I cannot get my ferrets to kiss me. They'll kiss Paul no
problem and even his friends that came up for the weekend, but I get
nothing. They'll squirm until I put them down. *And I'm the one that
gives them treats!* Of course Adhemar will scratch at my feet until I
give him a treat to go away... There's love for you...

_Ears_ Adhemar loves to _BITE_ ears. Once he bite Paul's ear and Paul
immeadiately scruffed him and yelled. It scared Adhemar so much he
let out a ferret scream. This of course sent Idefix running for cover
under the couch. Idefix *Never* runs from anything, except the vacuum
cleaner! What a great friend Ide is eh? "Oh my God! That's Adhemar!
He's screaming! He must be in pain, or dying, or in really hot water!
I better run away and save my skin!"
        After this incident, I was a little nervous about having
Adhemar near my face. But a month later and after he had been trying
to climb up my back, I decided to let him achieve his goal of getting
to my sholder without knocking him off before he got to the top.
WELL! If he didn't bite my ear AND DRAW BLOOD! He was in trouble with
me I can tell you. He was confinded to his cage for an hour. We now
tell people that Adhemar is trying to collect ear lobes and to watch
out for his collecter's eyes and teeth...

_Brad_ Maybe Tasha is trying to tell you that a traditional matress
is better for your back...Just a thought.

_Shelters_ We got our two guys from the Ottawa Ferret Association. We
had tried the HUmane Society, but they passed us over to them. It
turned out that until the OFA was created, the HS would put down
ferrets because they did not have the facilities to deal with
ferrets. Well, I shudder to think that if The OFA hadn't been there
my guys would have been put down because their previous owner didn't
have the sense to read about ferrets before he went out and bought
them. I will always maintain that buying a pet is like having a
child. Apporach the decision with heavy consideration and it's not
appropriate as a gift. (Sorry, I'm a bleeding heart.) Anyways, The
OFA helped us ferret proof our place, learn about ferrets, supplied
us with a cage and some food dishes and the support we needed to make
it through the initial m first month of "get to know what body parts
they like to chew'. They let us have the option of keeping them on a
temporary basis so that we could decide if we were ferret people and
when we decided to keep them they gave us a deal on the ferrets, cage
and other supplies. They have also found us people to baby sit them
for us and they were there when Idefix had trouble with an olive that
wouldn't go down right.

        I think shelters are the best thing on earth and they do an
excellent job. They work so hard to find ferrets a second chance at a
better life, while at the same time giving up much of theirs to the
care of ferrets. We should all give them our support, whether it's by
donation or adopton or a couple hours a week. They need our support
and I think we should all take our hats off to them.

BOY! Am I Long inded tonight! I guess it's been awhile since I
crowded the FML with my blather!

Kathy and the ferret Hamas... we do not support Kathy's peaceful
efforts to keep the apartment territory clean in any manner!