From:
Debi & David Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 11:25:53 -0500
Anonymous needing Insulinoma opinions:
The first medicine used to treat insulinoma is usually a prednisone type.
Personally, I prefer Pediapred, which mixes easily with a soup made of
their regular dry food.  (These types of medicines should be taken with
food to prevent stomach problems.) Please ask your vet how many times he
has treated this illness in ferrets and why he prescribed the other
medicine instead.  There are many ferret vets who won't mind being called
for consultation.  (Dr. Roger Kendrick 817-477-4143)  If he is not willing
to answer you questions, or is offended by being asked to consult with
other ferret knowledgeable vets....FIND ANOTHER VET.

And on mineral/metals.... Let's not forget that the accumulation of
aluminum in the brain (during autopsy) is, to date, the only verifiable
diagnosis of Alzheimer's... (check the aluminum content of ordinary things
you consume...(canned softdrinks, anti-perspirants) yet how much iron is
recommended per day for good health?  I think this is one for those with
specialized educations to debate, and in the meantime perhaps the rest of
us should stick with what's proven to be safe.

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home