From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 16:57:22 -0400
Thanks, Mary!

>Echinacea - still might counteract immune-suppressant drugs.

Shoot!  I knew that one and should have added it as an addenum.

>Ginger - Is proving wonderful to antidote nausea from chemotherapy.

(An old Chinese recipe a friend taught me which is the best thing I have
ever found for a sore throat is seeping a tea of water, freshly minced or
grated ginger root, honey, and either almonds or pine nuts.  Not sure
that such a thing would be safe or logical for ferrets, though... :-).
BTW, the oldest recipe I have encountered as far as i know -- It's a
hobby. -- is a three thousand year old one from India and is for a an
herbal tea: 2" piece of ginger root which is coarsely chopped, 10 lightly
crushed green cardomon pods, water, and honey to taste.  I make it a
lot...)

>Licorice - May worsen the effect of drugs that have as a side effect
>potassium loss (read your patient inserts carefully for this one).  It
>can also lengthen the time that cortiosteroids are effective.

Licorice has a lot against it.  Have heard from someone I trust about
liver-toxic properties but would have to check on that.  It's over and
over again documented as dangerous for circulatory health, though.
Normally, there are very few ferrets who wind up with something bad
enough to cause thromboses to be thrown (which people sometimes confuses
with strokes), but I have heard of too many ferrets given true
licorice/licorice root who do just that.  The herb books that I have
which give positives and negatives really advise avoiding it.

>Siberian ginseng - can enhance the operation of antibiotics.

And it makes sense to know that the ferret's heart is in good shape
before trying it, if what I have gathered on that score is correct for
them.

>St. Johns Wort - Has enhanced the effect of some narcotics and can
>increase the effects of drugs that cause photosensitivity such as
>alcohol and melatonin.

WOW!  I did not know that!  A number of people give melatonin to ferrets
during adrenal problems or afterward.  Is that true for eyes as well as
skin?

>Stimulant laxatives like senna, cascara sagrada, aloe vera leaf (not the
>gel), buckthorn bark and berries, rhubarb root and castor oil - can speed
>digestion which can reduce the absorption time of certain drugs.  Chronic
>use results in loss of potassium which is necessary to keep in balance
>with sodium to keep our bodies operating correctly.  This can strengthen
>the effects of cardiac glycosides and anti- arrthythmic agents.  Also
>used along with licorice root can lead to leaching out of potassium from
>the body.

Interesting.  We have an older relative who was about to megadose
magnesium because a newspaper article pointed out that too little in
the diet can result in heart arrhythmia, but neglected to point out that
too much also can do that (plus damage kidneys, cause confusion, etc.).
She is someone who is not taking any of the meds that cause problems
absorbing it or cause it to be excreted, does not vomit regularly, is not
an alcoholic, etc.  and she eats over 5 servings of fruits and veggies a
day, whole wheat breads, nuts, and drinks hard water.  One interesting
things about nutrients is that for multiple ones the symptoms from too
much are the same as for too little.  For humans the recommended ranges
are known for many things, but it sure would be good if more if known
about ferrets on this score to avoid possible nutrient deficiencies or
nutrient poisoning.

[A later P.S.]
acknowledgement (P.S. to herbal post which has some ginger uses)

I searched down where that old recipe came from and apparently it was
discovered in ancient documents by Madhur Jaffrey, who is a culinary
history scholar as well as chef, and has written a number of excellent
cookbooks, and appears in one of her books.  We have several of her
Indian ones and at least two of her vegetarian ones and I swear by them.