From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 13:31:23 -0400
I completely doubt that Charlie is making any profit from this video,
though he may lose money on it.

Look at his history in relation to experimental procedures.  There has
often been confusion here when people who were doing experimental
procedures with Charlie reported the costs -- the prices they quoted
were consistently so much below what anyone else could get.  Why is that?
It's because Charlie tends to donate his time and sometimes even provide
materials at cost when researching.

Of course, all good things have to come to an end or at least diminish
somewhat as the saying goes, and Charlie and his wife now have two kids.
Ever try to support two kids when you are giving away that many hours of
work?  How could he also give away the production costs he paid?  Charlie
HAS to re-coup the cost for the making of the video and it's going to be
hard with a SMALL market.  This HAD to be a very professionally done video
to show the level of detail involved and to do so in a way which did not
endanger the ferrets.  Yes, that costs through the nose.  I used to devote
volunteer time for a friend who had a video production company and ran a
Vietnam Vets Show and an Airplane television show.  (I am very good at
crawling around in mud with cables and finding quick fixes for lost mike
clips.) It's very expensive to do something like that right.  Charlie did
it right so that it will help as many as possible.  I just hope he doesn't
lose money on it.  It could help so very many vet schools, vets, ferrets,
and ferret people.