From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 07:38:20 -0500
>From:    zen and the art of ferrets
>Taking a Luddite's approach to science is not helpful.  Abusing the
>language by confusing a theory with a hypothesis is not helpful.

All I can say is being a scientist/practitioner, and not playing one on the
net, let me correct you that indeed theory *is* hypothesis.  They are
synonymous.  Admittedly, it doesn't require 100k in student loans, a simple
$20 dictionary will suffice.  Secondly, while I do not agree entirely with
EL's post, the personal characterization to Luddite is far from appropriate.
The cornerstones to good science is critical observation and accurate
reporting, and not apparatus.  Without these, you are only left
with....tales.

Piaget constructed an entire theory on the dynamics of human development
based on the observation of his own children.  Overtime, most of his
findings have withstood with little or no modification despite countless
attempts to do so through other numerous and scientific means.  Just dumb
luck?  Or did he wisely use the aforementioned cornerstones to fruition?
Perhaps you mistakenly consider Piaget a Luddite also.  While EL's
observations are far from accepted fact, I am willing to listen.

Finally, this statement actually display EL's questions better than he!

>In those cases most ferrets would take these squeek toys and carefully
>bring them back to their "nests" (convienent hidey hole).  This is a
>maternal behavior not a predatory behavior.

You see, animals often bring their killed prey back to their place or other
hiding place, it's often referred to as hoarding, not at all maternal
(remember critical observation?).  What EL continually seemed to re-examine
was the apparently similar but actually very different behaviors and the
difficulty in determining which is actually being presented.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi