From:
Mary Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 04:07:14 EST
>One problem with just going from thinness is a problem that has also
>been encountered more than once in relation to the human studies on
>caloric restriction: that there is a lot more going on with thinness
>than just the calories taken in.  For humans one of the most major
>problems is that higher caloric consumption and sarcopenia have strong
>overlaps.  That can also happen with ferrets.  Sarcopenia is a condition
>in which there is too little muscle mass from too little exercise.
>There is a spiral there because low levels of exercise cause fat
>increase while fat increase also often further reduces exercise.

Hi Sukie ~

Going back to ferrets of 15+ years ago, I can share that Houdini (who
lived to be 12) and lived on the old cat food regime, had 2 flights of
stairs up to his room each day and ran around outside in warm weather for
hours at a time.  In the winter he had the run of the whole farmhouse.
That was when we were dumb and young and had energy to go and find him.
He never did gain a lot of weight.  Probably had adequate exercise for
his food intake.  He never had any of the illnesses we see today either.
Died on a lilypad in our pond one relaxed afternoon of old age, and oh
did we cry!

Warmly ~
Mary

Herbalist