From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 08:53:00 EDT
I'd like to second Pam Grant's comment about using a different free sample
pet food for treats.  Another aspect is that the size and shape difference
can be enjoyable.  We use a dog kibble that is the size and shape of a small
gumball.  The ferrets crunch it up with such zest and it seems to be because
of the chewing involved.  They don't like the broken ones as much.  They
will pick a whole one over a broken piece every time.  Some dog foods have
garlic in them and some ferrets (like Diane's Rocket and ours) enjoy that
taste.

To the CA person concerned about insulanoma - Lucy may or may not get it, it
isn't contagious.  However, classic signs include sleeping longer and
shorter bursts of up time, deeper sleeps - harder to arouse, blanking out
momentarily, pawing at the mouth or drooling (signs of nausea), there may be
a progressive weight loss, and there may be a change in eating patterns.
You already know about the late stage seizures.  Unfortunately, the signs
are progressive and subtle, making them easy to miss except in hindsight.
For your post-op Ricky, if everything is removed the problem should be
solved.  However, smaller, more frequent meals of high protein content will
help stabilize blood glucose levels.  My big question to you is: How did you
manage to get your ferrets on a statewide TV ad?  There must be a good story
there.

Swampp, (I was away and got a bit behind) I was not polled for your exposure
survey, but there is 1 aspect that may not have been mentioned.  There is a
social consideration.  If your ferrets get ECE, you are now a source of
contagion to other owners.   This may or may not limit how social you can
get with them in an FFZ.  We face that dilemma now.

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \    Till next time..Bill Bo Bob Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \
      /\ * )  \