From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 1995 19:23:07 -0500
Hello FML - I am glad to see Bob writing out about ferret diets.  Yes, our
little fuzzies are carnivores and it was we who decided high quality dry
kitten chow and Totally Ferret, etc.  were the best diets for our ferrets.
Although I do not advocate cruising the highways for unfortunate road kill
(although I was tempted once to do just that for the pelt when I had a
ferret totally blow a coat just before show time.  I thought he might show
better if I strapped a pelt on him!), I feel that our ferrets should benefit
from a variety diet which includes meat, fish and fowl..

Although ferret diets have been researched, especially by Dr.  Tom Ward, and
a few others - I feel we still have a lot to learn about what constitutes
the best for our pets.  In England, ferrets are frequently kept on milk
their whole lives.  They apparently do not loose the milk digestive enzyme
that our pets do after weaning when milk products become verboten.  Ferrets
are also fed raw meat in England and other countries and seem to do quite
well.

I think that if our domesticated animals still lived in the wild, their diet
would consist of a greater variety than we can know -- such as eating the
whole mouse, and other kills.  Berries, greens, eggs and much more.  For
that reason, I have always fed my ferrets by the "shotgun method", which is
to say, I give them a broad range diet in the hope that I am pulling them
close to complete nutritional needs.

Since dry feeds vary somewhat in their formulation, I give my ferrets from
kit to breeders to oldtimers a mixture of feeds which include the following:
Perform, which is shipped to me from Carnation and has a 36% protein ratio.
I have sworn by this for years; Totally Ferret - 36% protein; IAMS Kitten -
34% protein, Precise kitten - 32% protein, Purina ProPlan Turkey and Barley
and ProPlan Kitten; Natures Own Kitten.  I do not wish to enter into any
arguments on this, but I keep my "business" of 17 ferrets on dry kitten
foods for their entire lives.  .

At least once a day, all my ferrets receive a meal of either freshly cooked
chicken, turkey, beef, fish; or whatever we have.  Since kits at my house
are introduced to chicken or turkey as they wean or after they wean (mind
your fingers on this), they continue to enjoy it - and believe me - expect
it every day.  Only a couple of my older ones will not eat this.  I have
followed this practice for years.  They also occasionally get knuckles or
other small joints or bones (that will not splinter) to gnaw on.  This you
have to be careful with and collect when they are finished so they will not
hide this "treasure" to become spoiled.  Most of them love eggs - especially
scrambled, and most enjoy raw egg -- careful that this is very fresh.

I also feed my ferrets a variety of veggies both cooked and raw as well as
fruits.  Veggies and fruits take more the form of treats - since I do not
want to overdo this.  They, all or some, love the following: lettuce,
broccoli, carrots, tomatoe, etc.  They love to snitch from the salad bowl.
They love, or course, raisins, grapes, banana, strawberries, rassberries,
black berries, melons and more.  Very few will turn down and fruit offering.

While the dry food mix constitues most of their diet - I feel they are
better balanced with all the fresh add-ons.  Just my opinion folks.  meg