From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:14:27 -0400
Obviously, Peter knows about the risks of breeding for appearance.  I
think, though, that when the breeds of those other animals were mentioned
that it would have been the right time to starkly point out that they
come complete with health and longevity problems.  Why?  Because although
Peter knows, I can state emphatically that there are FML members who do
not know no matter how many fine posts have appeared, as well as some who
look for any excuse to continue placing appearance first.

Peter is right that trying to fight the almighty dollar is an uphill
battle.  Yes, there will always be breeders of all sizes who will ignore
the importance of health and even of pain because they care so much for
the money they can take in.  Maybe all that we can do is to slow what
they are doing and achieve pockets of healthier ferrets with networks of
breeders who actually love ferrets and prove it by not breeding those
who should not be bred, and by keeping the records they should keep.
Just because the task is Sisyphian in magnitude doesn't mean that it is
equally pointless.  Sometimes the most worthwhile fights are the hardest
ones.