From:
"Alejandro C. Vitale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 14:13:56 -0300
Hi All,

A couple of months ago I posted on the FML asking for advice on wether or
not to purchase a grown, somewhat aggressive ferret I found here in Buenos
Aires, Argentina, where I live.  I received SO MANY responses (THANKS!!!
ALL OF YOU) that I've opted to post again with "an update" (rather than
respond to every mail I got) -- I'm also adding a very frustrating
experience I had with American Airlines.  By the way, there was an even
split between those of you urging me to buy & re-educate the snippy ferret
vs. those of you that said it was too much to handle for a first-time owner.

When I went back to the "exotic" pet store here in Buenos Aires to spend
some more time with the ferret it had already been purchased by a young
boy....I asked the pet store owner for this person's phone number, so I
could at least call and ask him if he had experience with ferrets & to let
him know about the FML, but the shop owner wouldn't give me the info, saying
it was "confidential".  I wonder what really happened to that ferret...

I still was interested in buying a young ferret, so when a business trip
took me to Miami, Florida in December, I made plans to bring one back with
me.  I had already secured the necessary permits from the local Fauna and
Agriculture Departments here in Argentina (which was a bit of a struggle)
and had a green light to bring one back from the U.S.

Imagine my disappointment when, after having selected a beautiful, young,
docile and playful ferret in a pet shop in Miami, American Airlines would
not let me bring one on the plane.  Not even in the luggage compartment, in
a proper cage, with the veterinarian's health certification.  Their response
was (I quote): "Their heads are so little that they can just squeeze through
the bars of the cage and get out".

I am sure their little heads pack substantially more IQ than the American
Airlines person I was up against.  Even after talking to "The Supervisor" I
had no luck; she said it was just airline policy....cats and dogs are
allowed, ferrets are not.

Unfortunately I couldn't change my airline ticket because it was restricted,
and I was REALLY upset I couldn't bring a ferret with me to Buenos Aires.

Do any of you know what international airlines DO ALLOW ferrets????  I am
NEVER flying American Airlines again, and I will tell everyone I know to
avoid them.  If they apply the same criteria to maintenance as they do in
developing their pet handling policy.... it's a scary thought.

Thanks to all & a late Happy New Year.
Alex Vitale
Bs. As., Argentina