From:
MARIN CORDERO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:59:26 -0400
Ed -

I happened to run across the very verses you were thinking of just the
other night during some research.  It's in Leviticus 11:29-30.

29 These also shall be unclean unto you among the the creeping things that
creep upon the earth; the weasel, and the mouse, and the tortoise after his
kind,

30 And the ferret, and the chameleon, and the lizard, and the snail, and
the mole.

The word they use in Hebrew does in fact mean gecko ('anaqah) but the
electronic dictionary I've got says it can also be referring to a ferret.
In any case, I think the definite reference to weasels (choled) in the
previous verse pretty much puts ferret fritters, ferret fricassee, or
french fried ferret off the menu for followers of Jewish dietary law.
Darn.  Mine were just getting plump, too. ;)

Marin (human)
Ryuichi and Mitsuko (inedible mustelids)