From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 13:20:16 -0700
Hopefully these topics haven't been discussed to death.  Even though I've
been on the FML for quite some time, I only give digests occasional cursory
looks before archiving them for my daughter who doesn't have net access.  If
good information is already available, point the way and I'll try following
up on my own.

Coupla questions-

Like many of you my daughter has been having flea problems with her ferret.
Currently where she is renting she has virtually no control over other
animals in the house so she has been concentrating on limiting infestation
on her ferret to the extent possible.  Soon she will be moving to a location
free of other potential flea bearing animals so she wants to get a "fresh
start".  I know there has been some discussion about the use of Program as a
flea control.  I'm aware that it only prevents eggs or immature fleas from
developing, but she feels that if she can eliminate adult fleas in the
environment and prevent new ones from surviving, she can finally get control
over the situation.

I've taken a look through some back issues of recent digests but couldn't
find anything about recommended dosage.  Also, Program is kind of pricey and
she's on a very limited budget.  I have my dog on Program at the moment and
was wondering if there is any difference in the Program given to dogs and
that given to ferrets- beyond dosage.  What my question comes down to is
this: could one of the pills for my dog (~40 lbs) be divided up into
multiple doses for her ferret (less than a lb)?  Or would this be risky?  If
so, would it have to be divided into, say, 40 parts (pretty tough to do
accurately) or are there other consideration that limit division?

Second question.  She heard or read somewhere that adding small amounts of
vegetable oil to her ferret's diet would make its coat glossier and may even
discourage fleas and other parasites.  Any truth to this?  Lately she's been
adding a small amount of olive oil to her ferrets regular diet.  Is this a
good oil to use and how much is a "small" amount?

All help appreciated.

Thanks,

cobra