From:
Michelle Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 22:40:47 -0600
Well right now I am madder than a wet...er um ferret.  :-) My Grandmother
just called me to inform me of the cleveland bite incident which showed up
on our local Okc news.  And started in on me about my fuzzy's and how
dangerous they were and how they could do that to my children.  I "calmly"
explained to my Grandmother that I had heard of the story on the internet,
and told what I heard about the rumors of whether or not it really was the
ferret.  I went on to explain that my children are never left unsupervised
around the ferts, and that it was in my opinion, the parents fault, and not
the ferrets if he did indeed bite the baby.  I know my Grandmother means
well, and is ignorant to the joys of ferret ownership.  But come on.  Give
me some credit.  I would no more leave my two year old around my fuzzy's
alone, that I would leave her around my Grandmothers terrier unatended.  And
I would certainly trust my ferrets any day over her dog.  Of course, I must
admit, all of this comes from a woman who was paranoid that my kids would
some how climb up five feet and jump into the fifty gallon fish tank at my
mothers house and drown.  But it still irks me.

Anyways, on to other things.  You know your a ferret person, when your
husband is flirting with you and bites you on the back of the neck, and
thinking like a ferret, as you normally do, you go limp. :-)

As I posted about a week ago, we got the new custom cage.  The dynamic duo
seem to like it fine, although my Gypsy seemed to be a bit confused as to
how to go up to the top floor, and come back down again.  It took Shandy to
show him how (such a smart girl) she got behind him and pushed the fraidy
ferret down the ramps.  (See, this is how you do it you big chicken!) I
carpeted the bottom, since bubble butt Gypsy tends to skip the last couple
of steps and kind of jumps.  I didn't want him breaking a hip or anything,
and thought the carpet would soften it a bit.  For some odd reason though,
they have decided that in this new cage, it is much more fun to go poddy on
the floor, rather than using their litter boxes.  They almost always used
their box before.  And now they just play in it.  They are all over their
colds.  They had drippy noses and sneezed for a week.  I fed each of them
duck soup each day.  Gypsy is now addicted to and wants more.  I dont want
to give it though because he has gained so much weight.  He would eat his
soup and then go finish what Shandy had left.  He has fat rolls on his
tummy.  I dont think Shandy gained any, since she is on the move constantly.
But Gypsy is a couch potato ferret.  All he wants to do is sit on the couch
with the kids and watch tv and eat and sleep.  He was rather thin when we
got him, his owners only fed him one handfull of cat food a day.  And ever
since I started him on TF (there is always some in the bowl) he has really
packed on the ounces!  He wont run and play unless he is with Shandy.  And
if they are out in the living room together, he would drather go sit on the
couch than play.  I guess I will have to lock them up in the bathroom
together.  There is no place for him to jump up on and nap in there.  He has
always acted like a slug, but this is ridiculous!  The vet didn't say
anything last week, so mabye she missed it, or I am being paranoid.  :-)

And Baby Hugo is doing well, getting bigger before my eyes.  He still has no
mask, but he has now gotten two dark patches over each eye.  He looks like a
ferret version of groucho marx or somthing.  I dont know what color he will
end up, but he is awfully cute right now.

Chell