From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 1996 21:02:09 -0400
The key to proper vet services is to shop around BEFORE there is an
emergency....

For example: Adrenal surgeries run from $150 (no blood workup) to over $600
(blood work, Xrays, overnight stay, biopsies, etc.) in my area (MD/VA).
There are good vets who care about the ferrets, some even take payment
plans, and there are vets out there just interested in the almighty dollar.
I even know of vets who tell their clients their ferrets have adrenal
disease, and the ferrets are then surrendered to me because the owner can
not afford the cost, then I recommend a less costly vet or WORSE - tell them
their ferret does not have adrenal disease, just an infection in the vulva
and to see another vet for antibiotics.

Steps to interview a vet:
1.  Ask if ferrets are treated as domestic or exotic pets - it will make a
    difference in the prices they charge.
2.  Ask how many ferrets they see a month, and how many surgeries they
    perform other than spays and neuters.
3.  Ask what the standard fees for distemper and rabies shots are.
4.  Ask about over night stays (is there someone on call), emergency hours
    or fees, and evening and weekend hours.
5.  Ask "If a ferret were to nip someone on staff, what would you do to the
    ferret?"
6.  If you have multiple ferrets, ask if there is a discount on anything.

Just because a vet is expensive, does not mean they are the best.  I
personally prefer small private practices to the big clinics.  I also use
several vets for different things because each one has a specialty, and in
case one is on vacation or off for the day, I need to have backup.

Pam Grant, suffering ferret shelter operator
still looking for foster homes to fatten up ferrets....