From:
Lynn M Zummo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 12:08:41 -0500
Hi, all.

Until now I have been a quiet observer to the list, but now I have a
question of my own.

My partner and I are the parents of 6 ferts, one of whom is about five years
old.  Last July I acquired three kits from a pet store here in Pittsburgh
that apparently have ECE (they never exibitied symptoms) and about a week
after I brought them home, Socrates (my five-year-old) developed the dreaded
green, slimy poop.  I quickly discovered from researching on the Web what it
was (my local vet have no clue) and contacted Dr. Williams.  We were able to
get him through the worst of it, and as described, about three or four weeks
later he began losing weight again (eating was normal).  We got him through
this, too, and he is eating fine and his green poop eventually disappeared.

He has been on a yo-yo ride of weight loss and gain in the last several
months, but recently he has really lost weight.  Being the terrible parent I
am :-( , I didn't realize until Monday that he is emaciated.  We have him
back on a version of duck soup of his liking (anyone who says that all
ferrets LOVE chicken baby food have not met Socs :-) ), but we are still
concerned.  His attitude is great (he has NO trouble biting toes!), but he
is so thin.

I recently found a vet who is somewhat knowlegeable about ferrets and claims
that I am the only person he has met that has gotten an older fret though
this.  He also said for me to expect to have to put him down soon.  I find
this hard to believe as the information I have read indicates otherwise.

Can anyone either give me advice on this or relate success stories?  Will I
always have to feed him duck soup (which is no problem)?  Should I be
medicating him?  He seems well other than being thin.

Thanks in advance...

Lynn and Jan, Socrates, Plato, Descartes, Little Missy, Opie, and Cybil

Lynn Zummo
University of Pittsburgh Law Library
(412)648-1321