From:
julie dwyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 1995 10:09:31 EST
    I have a 3 year old named Floyd who is a very sick little ferret.  It
all seemed to start when I got him a new little friend about 2 1/2 weeks
ago.

    He's now had diarrhea for 2 weeks.  It is starting to get green.  In the
past week he has lost so much weight that his bones are sticking out of his
fur.  He hasn't eaten a thing in 5 days but at least he is still drinking
lots of water.  His activity level has dropped considerably and he know
sleeps 3 times as much as usual.

    I brought him to a vet and they gave me a prescription of amoxl and some
high calorie nutravit.  He's been on the medication for 2 days.  When I woke
up this morning he seemed to be a bit more alert.  The only food he'll eat
is a tiny piece of banana a couple times a day and of course he still
doesn't pass up his 2 daily raisins.

    I have never seen a ferret so skinny before.  I realize now, thanks to
some help from Peg at the local ferret association, that Floyd's condition
is probably not due to the addition of the new ferret.  After all they were
playing for the first few days.  But for the time being Farley is being
ferretsat at a friends place so we can concentrate on getting Floyd better.

    If anybody out there had this happen to one of their little buddies
before please let me know and tell me if there is anything else I can do.

    By the way they took X-rays and found nothing.

    Thanks for the help in advance.

    Julie and her beloved Floyd.