From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2006 14:26:43 EDT
So, ferret love slaves ..... er my friends (sorry, wrong personality),
Renee has taken my little boy, Sean on his own trip of a lifetime.  Renee
is the queen of road trips, a modern day gypsy as you all know.  She had
planned on taking Sean with her on one of her trips six months ago.  As
some of you may know, we suffered quite a bad relapse with Sean over
the spring.  It was not caused by the loss of Rocky, not by any means.
However, as you might suspect, it certainly did not help that this
happened so close onto the heels of his loss.  It was quite a mess for
a while.  Meanwhile it was looking like Sean's little trip wouldn't be
happening this year after all.

But see, wonders never cease.  We straightened things out, and with some
time, Sean healed and is now back to his old self.  The trip was on
again!  So Renee, part of our extended family now and also experienced
with handicapped kids (a mother herself in addition), drove down and
scooped up my boy.  Not before spending a great holiday weekend with us
first (ooo, boy do I have movies), and before going through a lot of
trouble fixing up the inside of her car all perfect so he'd not be
freaked out.  She made him a little "nest" in the front seat.  He is to
want for nothing, believe me.  Well, except for Pharos.  But he is quite
tickled to have Renee's ferrets with him, especially Rocky Bobbles!

It blows me away that I trust a ferret friend with this precious and
fragile cargo more than most of my own family.  I know that may sound
harsh, but it's not.  It's just a fact is all.  My blood family doesn't
always respect Sean's differences, and don't educate themselves by
listening to me or reading to know how make the most out of their
relationship with him.  And so things like this just are not possible
with them whatsoever.  Renee made something nearly impossible ...
possible!  Little Sean was gripping his tiny suitcase of video games on
his lap when I waved goodbye.  He wouldn't let me give him a peck on the
lips.  "What are you doing, mom??  You're not a ferret, goooosh".  I kid
you not, he really said that.

Renee has plans.  Sean has a map of each state by his side.  This is
so he can visually see where they are and have fun mapping.  He has a
camera, and Renee will stop and take a photo of him in front of every
state line.  She has all sorts of plans.  He has tons of snacks, his
new Nitendo DS, his little disc player, stuffed animal, and who knows
what other kinds of comfort items in tow.  Renee has been told by Sean
to avoid country music.  Sean says he has "strong feelings" about that
(don't ask ... cause we don't know ... it's Sean, what can I say).
lolol.  She has a little Sirius radio set up for him.  And so the
weaselwagon took off out of my drive way with all of these little furry
faces looking out the window, Renee singing "on the road again", and
Sean never once looked back!  LOLOL.

So, if we are lucky we may get random reports of where they are on the
road.  What they are doing etc.  Renee isn't a camera bug.  But she has
some film, and so does Sean.  Maybe they'll be good about getting some
shots and things.

Do you know what it takes to do what Renee is doing for him?  Let me tell
you how much it takes.  It takes so much, that we, his OWN family have
never attempted this sort of thing with him before.  He is more than
ready, we just haven't had to opportunity yet.  It will take patience for
Renee, because Sean will not always smile.  He will not always be able to
say what he needs.  He can be downright ... difficult to be around when
he is not doing well.  You have to physically make sure he brushes his
teeth because he is tactically defensive with it.  You have to make sure
that you are not "rude" to the ferrets.  And you have to give him lots of
space.  There is an invisible instruction book out there to Sean.  And
she's doing it.  For him.  How do'ya like that?

Okay, I"m off.  Gotta eat some of the food debris that she left behind.

Wolfy